A Novel Creation
Sometime during the '50s, the Heath Toffee Ice Cream Bar was created in the dairy division of the company. This, too, proved to be a very popular consumer item. In 1958, the product was introduced into the marketplace nationwide under a licensee manufacturing arrangement with many dairies located throughout the country. The dairy division was sold in 1963, after 49 years of continuous operation.
In 1964, Heath entered the fundraising business, selling candies to schools, clubs and other organizations throughout the country for the purpose of re-selling to raise needed funds. In 1973, the Heath fund-raising sales force was merged with the sales force of QSP, the fund-raising subsidiary of Reader's Digest. That association continued for 10 years, after which Heath resumed fund-raising sales through independent sales representatives.
Pepsi sales had grown to a point that the old Robinson Bottling Works on South Jackson Street, even through remodeled numerous times throughout the years, was not sufficient to meet production requirements. So, in 1964, a new Pepsi plant was built at the west edge of Robinson, along Route 33. There was a great celebration where this modern new plant opened. Actress Joan Crawford, then Chairman of the Board of Pepsi, came to Robinson to dedicate the facilities.
Construction began that same year on a new modern candy-manufacturing plant adjacent to the new Pepsi plant. This was a huge facility powered by the most modern equipment available. Production began there in early 1967. Due to expansion plans, and ever-increasing need for additional candy-manufacturing facilities, and an effort to concentrate corporate efforts in the confectionery area, the Pepsi franchise was sold in 1969. The vacated building was initially used for warehousing.